Are you at risk for acquiring HIV? Consider:
At Risk Individuals
- Gay men -- just being gay puts you at high risk for acquiring HIV. Conservatively, gay men comprise 5% of the population but account for over 60% of yearly HIV infections.
- Using condoms most of the time, usually, when appropriate. The CDC’s analysis shows that anything less than 100% compliance with condom use puts you at the same risk of never using a condom.
- Partnered in an open relationship. New information concludes that 70% of all new infections are from one primary partner to his partner in open relationships where rules are absent, not understood, or just ignored.
- Having anal sex without a condom or missing the required daily dose of PrEP.
- Selecting sexual partners on the basis of negative status for bareback sex. In the UK, 80% of new infections stem from this selection criterion.
- Unprotected sex with your best friends.